Monday, January 21, 2019

Second Day in Cebu: Swimming with Whale Sharks Edition

Everything you need to know about swimming with whale sharks in Oslob, Cebu, Philippines  

You may have heard of Oslob as being one of the places to go if you want the experience of swimming with whale sharks.

Yes, you read correctly, you can go here and swim with these amazing animals.
Not my picture but this is what these beautiful creatures look like 
How we got here: We woke up early and took the bus from Moalboal to Oslob which took about 3 hours. Make sure you get there early because if you actually want to swim with whale sharks, you cannot do it past 1200. The earlier you get there, the better

When we arrived, we were overwhelmed by the number of people trying to sell us a tour. The tours are expensive and I honestly had no idea what to expect. Don’t forget to BARGAIN!

Most packages included standard snorkeling or scuba diving. I don’t really recommend scuba diving because when we were there, we could see all the way down at the bottom, and the marine life was not as impressive to me. I would recommend snorkeling and save scuba diving for a more impressive site.

We ended up going with one of the vendors and after getting ready, we were off to see these enormous but harmless creatures. We were waiting for a long time to go out on a boat that will give us access to swim in the water with them.
Accurate representation of what to expect. (I did not take the picture) 
I was honestly really disappointed by the experience as a whole. I knew there would be some people there but I was definitely not expecting the HUNDREDS of people that were in the water right next to each other. All the boats were in a circle around ONE whale shark. I think I saw the whale shark a total of 3-4 times.

One thing you should know before you go is that these animals are actually not supposed to be there. They are fed in order to stay and provide a source of income for the locals. These animals are actually meant to migrate.

The whole experience lasted for not even 30 minutes and we couldn’t really leave the boat or else we would get yelled at. I have seen so many videos and pictures of people actually swimming next to the whale sharks and I was so excited to do so, but that was definitely not my experience. There were about 20+ people on just the boat we were on and we were all right next to each other, packed extremely close to the point where one girl hit my phone out of my hand. Thank god I caught it and nothing happened. Someone else elbowed me in the head and I also kicked someone in the head. I am assuming that everything was an accident, but who knows… :) 


Team no sleep and it shows! Post whale shark adventure
Pro Tip: We met this woman on our way to Bohol, who was traveling solo and she said that she made friends with some locals that brought her to an island and let her swim with a couple of whale sharks and gave her no time limit. If you can find someone that can help you do that, I would absolutely do it.

Don’t get me wrong, although the experience itself was pretty disappointing, due to the fact that I felt rushed and did not really see as many whale sharks as I thought I would, but I can at least say that I went swimming with whale sharks!

Also, you might get a little scared when you first see them, because they are HUGE, but it goes away very quickly and you will appreciate these beautiful creatures.


Don’t forget to leave the beach better than you found it!

No comments:

Post a Comment